TedInSaltLakeCity

Monday, January 26, 2009

INDISCREET

Jenn and I select our favorite songs from a Sparks album and play them for you here and discuss why Sparks is the greatest band in all of Tarnation, by golly.

Ted: Hey Baby, less than three weeks till Sparks in LA... excited?

Jenn:  I am starting to feel it! Yeah!

T: Where are we at in our LP reviews?

J: We need to be discreet about Indiscreet, methinks.

T: So I shouldn't jump out and say, not my favorite?

J: Hahahahah. Or, you could go that route, yes.

J: Not my favorite either.

T: Yeah, definitely down on the list for me.  The critics seem to love it, though.

J: For me, I feel like Indiscreet lacks a certain energy that their previous albums had. I mean, where is the guitar? They are in this awkward in-between phase of really having a unique sound and showing it off a bit, but not taking it to the next level yet, they aren't breaking any new ground with this album, nor are they improving on what they've done before.

T: How can I hate the lack of guitar on this one and then applaud the lack of guitar on No. 1 In Heaven?

J: Well, No. 1 is a completely different sound. They have totally evolved from 70's pop-rock band at that point to immersing themselves in the electronica of the 80's.

T: Helping invent electronica of the 80s...

T: But let's save that for later.

J: True that. I do have to say that while the music on Indiscreet leaves something to be desired for me, some of the lyrics are just fucking hilarious. "Tits?" That is one of the funniest lyrical songs ever.

T: I must confess, I haven't checked out any of the lyrics besides the one in my song choice, "Get in the Swing."

J: Well, you should, 'cause they are the best part of the album. "Get In The Swing!" Excellent choice. I remember viewing Russell singing that one for the first time and almost falling off my chair when he started talking back to his 'creator.' Hahahahahaha. 

J: Still gets me every time.

T: It was one of the first, if not THE first of the vintage Sparks we saw on YouTube.  Drummer guy from Bay City Rollers introduces them!

J: I'm going to have to go with Happy Hunting Ground. Musically, I think it is one of the strongest on the album.

T: HHG definitely has the guitar that I feel is lacking on most of the other tracks, and the vocal refrain at the end is impressive.

J: Agreed.

T: What is that Kate Bush song?  When I hear it, I'm convinced she's borrowing from HHG.

T: Maybe I'm up in the night.

J: I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm sure you are right though. Not one Sparks album goes without  being ripped off. 

J: I think the important thing about Indiscreet is that it ends their first UK run, and they start going in a different direction after this album - would you agree?

T: Yeah, I think the story goes that they bailed on England with the coming of punk and went back to the States to try to establish an audience there.

T: Which leads us to the two intermediary albums, Big Beat and Introducing Sparks, before they managed to get back on the charts in Britain with No. 1 In Heaven.

T: See ya soon for those reviews?

J: I'll be here with bells on, so to speak...


"Get In The Swing"
Get in the swing, pal
Get in the swing
With everybody and everything
(repeat)

My friends are here
Mind if you go out and not come back again
Well, thanks a lot
Hooray, hooray
The night is younger than the girl who's got the touch
But not by much

Well, I ain't no Freud, I'm from L.A.
But I know certain things
That they also serve who sit and wait
They're cheaper than painting
And don't need explaining

(Chorus)

When Salmon spawn
A ton of water blocks their motion,
Spoils their game
But on they go
Thrashing 'til their mission is fulfilled or else
Oh, but they have their friends
And have a warm bed waiting
Just like I do with you
I'm happy, so happy, I'm happy, oh happy

(Chorus)

All for one, one for all

(Chorus)

Hello down there
This is your creator with a questionaire
Hello up there
I don't have the time to fill out questionaires


"Happy Hunting Ground"

Happy hunting ground, happy hunting ground
They don't talk or act like you do
Happy hunting ground, happy hunting ground
No they sure don't look like you

Who, what, when, where and why everyday
Identify every disease
I drew a blank in my language
And latin and Spanish and Greek
Thrown out, thrown out, so happy at first
I danced 'til I wore out my shoes
Now I'm in trouble, I know it
Please let me back into school

Back in the happy hunting ground
Where all around are fair, fair game
I need the happy hunting ground
'Cause all around it's not the same

How to say it, and not to offend
Well, you're still inside it's OK
As soon as a girl leaves the refuge
Out go the reason they're great
Hips are spreading, and never a smile
They always demand that they drive
Well, I've got to get back inside there
Back where at least they're alive

(Chorus)

Happy hunting ground, happy hunting ground
They can sort of dance like you do
Happy hunting ground, happy hunting ground
But they just can't last like you

Some are coming to learn how to read
Others to learn how to write
But I want a better selection
It's larger but poorer outside

It's fair, fair game inside etc.

(Chorus)

It's fair fair game inside etc.

(Chorus)

2 Comments:

At January 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM , Blogger CW said...

I just read the lyrics to HHG again, and I gotta tell ya- NOT DISCREET!! Hahaha!

 
At February 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM , Blogger eljefe said...

Bookworm Pod cast
Guest "Sparks: The Art of the Popular Song"
Host: Michael Silverblatt

http://ow.ly/fvR

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home